- Cauliflower is a grain-totally free, small-carb substitution for rice that’s effortless to make at household.
- The quickest way to make cauliflower rice is with a food processor, but a box grater performs as well.
- Cauliflower rice is a versatile foundation for curries, soups, salads, burritos, bowls, and far more.
- Check out Insider’s House & Kitchen area Reference library for far more stories.
Cauliflower rice is just cauliflower chopped up into rice-sized pieces. It has develop into a preferred substitution for white rice at fast-relaxed dining establishments like Chipotle and a staple component for those on the keto diet. Not only is it grain-totally free and lower-carb, it is really also substantial in fiber and vitamin C.
You can discover it pre-made on the cabinets of most grocery merchants, but it truly is also actually straightforward to make at household. And there is certainly only one particular component: cauliflower!
Chef Seizan Dreux Ellis loves applying cauliflower rice in his plant-centered menu at Café Gratitude mainly because it is such a functional ingredient. “It truly is a wonderful neutral foundation to show off flavors of the other ingredients,” he says. Below, he provides his recommendations for producing fantastic cauliflower rice at residence.
How to make cauliflower rice
System in small batches to far better control the regularity.
- Prep your cauliflower. Get rid of any green leaves, and chop the head into significant florets or chunks. Include things like the stems.
- Process in batches. Incorporate several florets to the bowl of your food items processor fitted with the standard S blade, but you should not overload it. You can expect to have far more management more than the regularity if you operate in modest batches.
- Pulse little by little. Give it 3 or 4 brief pulses, then pause and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Go much larger chunks toward the blade to continue to keep items processing evenly. Keep on pulsing right up until it reaches the regularity of grains of rice.
- Repeat. Vacant the processed cauliflower into a bowl, and commence once again with the remaining cauliflower pieces.
Swift suggestion: If you don’t have a food processor, a box grater is effective high-quality way too. It just usually takes a minimal more time. You can go away the head of cauliflower largely intact while grating. Just take out any leaves. Bigger or lesser holes can equally perform based on the measurement of cauliflower grains ideal.
How to cook cauliflower rice
Sub in cauliflower rice in fried rice dishes.
“You can really do something with cauliflower rice that you would do with standard rice, and you can also consume it raw,” Ellis suggests. But you certainly never require to boil it or cook dinner it in a rice cooker like typical rice.
If you don’t want to try to eat it uncooked, give it a quick saute until eventually golden brown, evenly steam it, or blanch it in very hot drinking water to soften it up.
From there, use it to make a rice pilaf, add it to soups or stews, use it as the base for a curry, or make a risotto with it. Anywhere you use rice, you can sub in cauliflower rice.
Notice: There are 25 calories in a cup of cauliflower rice as opposed to 200 energy in a cup of lengthy-grain white rice, generating it a great substitute if you might be seeking to keep items mild.
How very long is cauliflower rice excellent for
Ellis suggests retaining raw cauliflower rice in an airtight container and storing it in the fridge for up to a few or four times. “It will scent like cauliflower, so hold in thoughts that right after a day or two it will give off a cabbage odor in the fridge,” he says.
If you choose to freeze cauliflower rice, the water molecules and mobile composition will improve, resulting in a softer texture at the time it’s thawed even with no cooking it. Ellis will not advise freezing cauliflower rice, but it can be up to your personalized texture choice.
Cauliflower rice is simple to make at house with both a foodstuff processor or a box grater. All you have to have is 1 ingredient – cauliflower. It is straightforward to cook cauliflower rice with a fast sauté and you can love it uncooked much too. Uncooked cauliflower rice lasts for various days in the fridge and is a excellent foundation for a variety of dishes.